Diocesan Board of Education
Diocese of Belleville
Principal - Termination
When a principal violates policies of the Diocese, the local board of education, the principal's contract, or otherwise fails to perform designated responsibilities, the principal is to be informed by the pastor or his designee and given a warning in writing that his/her performance must improve within a specified length of time. The Office of Education shall be notified by the pastor prior to principal notification. The needed areas of improvement must be written and clarified when given to the principal so that he/she clearly understands what is expected of him/her.
When a principal is dismissed during the course of a contract year, a written notice must be given to the principal explaining the termination and stating the reasons for dismissal. A copy of the termination letter shall be sent by the pastor to the local board of education and to the Office of Education.
Grounds for dismissal shall include, but shall not be limited to:
- failure to provide leadership in forming the Christian educational community;
- failure to act in accordance with the doctrinal and moral teachings of the Catholic church;
- violation of accepted academic or professional standards of conduct;
- failure to perform duties in a satisfactory manner;
- lack of continuing professional growth and performance;
- non-observance of Diocesan and/or local board of education policies;
- failure to act;
- violation of the principal's contract.
Adopted: September 20, 1983
Revised: January 16, 2007
The Most Reverend Edward K. Braxton
Bishop of Belleville