Diocesan Board of Education
Diocese of Belleville
Objectives of the Instructional Program
The Religious and Faith Dimension of a Catholic School
Since “The Catholic school forms part of the saving mission of the Church” (NDC p.230), the vision and mission of the school must be formed and informed from the perspective of total Catholic formation. This total Catholic faith formation shall recognize the primacy of adult faith formation and the centrality of the Sacraments in faith growth. The Catholic school shall promote the life of the parish of which it is a unique ministry or the life of the parishes, if the school is a collaborative or diocesan ministry.
- The National Directory for Catechesis should be a guiding document for the Catholic school in its fulfillment of this Regulation.
- The school board shall be educated in its proper role and in the centrality of the religious and faith dimension of the Catholic school. The school board must be representative of the community the school serves; the ministry of each board member is to communicate the interests and needs of the community to the school and to communicate the service of the school to the community. The board must understand clearly its role.
- Every teacher assists in forming the values, convictions, and faith of students, therefore, every teacher in a Catholic School is a catechist. Every catechist must actively pursue her or his relationship with God as the necessary training to effectively serve as a catechist. All administrators and teachers should be hired and evaluated according to this criteria and continually offered opportunities for growing and familiarizing themselves with the teachings and heritage of the Church. Catechist Certification is mandatory for faculty and administration in Catholic schools.
- The Guidelines for Education in Human Sexuality shall be implemented (Policy 6121).
- Each Catholic secondary school shall have a campus minister as part of the administrative structure of the school.
- All schools shall have a set religion curriculum with established goals and objectives designed in cooperation with the faculty, local board, and the Office of Education.
- All Catholic elementary and secondary schools shall have an established retreat and Spirituality program for the students that involves the entire faculty in its planning and implementation.
- Every school shall develop and implement a plan to assist parents in the faith formation needed to fulfill their role as primary catechists of the faith for their child/children. spirituality program for the students that involves the entire faculty in its planning and implementation.
Approved: May 20, 1980
Revised: January 20, 2009
Office of Education