Diocesan Board of Education
Diocese of Belleville
Hiring Process for Principal - Lay or Religious
When hiring a principal, the pastor or designated representatives of the local board of education shall comply with the following procedures:
- Verify that the principal is a Catholic and in good standing with the Church.
- Review and verify academic and personal qualifications with the Office of Education.
- Ensure that six letters of recommendation for the applicant, three professional and three personal, are received before the contract is signed.
- The principal candidate must be interviewed and approved by the Office of Education preferably before being interviewed by the local level.
- Ensure that a thorough investigation and background check (refer to Child Protection Policy) and prior job history of principal candidate is undertaken.
Adopted: September 20, 1983
Revised: September 16, 2014
The Most Reverend Edward K. Braxton
Bishop of Belleville